Saturday, July 26, 2008

Getting Ready to Go

Today is Saturday, and I leave for Gabon on Monday. This month has been a whirlwind of vacation time spent in Connecticut, Utah's National Parks, the Lake Champlain Islands, and now back in Norwich, VT. While I've loved having so much time to play, I am excited to start working again, meet new people and feel challenged and likely utterly incompetent - they somehow teach you to crave that in medical school.

It's hard to believe that the first set of Lambarene fellows are already finishing up their stay. It seems that John & Meredith just left the States. From reading Meredith's emails, I learned that she became deeply immersed in the pediatric HIV/AIDS program (or, it seems, lack-thereof at present) and wants to come back to get a more organized program up and running in conjunction with Dr. Bonito and others. Currently, she's planning on coming back to Lambarene in September if Pitt lets her go, which would be fantastic. We also have another member joining us from Yale. Christy Cummings is a 3rd year resident who wants to go into neonatology, and she'll be arriving in Lambarene in September as well. She will be a great resource in terms of explaining the medicine side of things in english as I'm sure I'll miss quite a bit in french.

Well, I'm off to the strip mall to purchase bug spray and other fun items for my suitcase. 
The next entry will hopefully be much more interesting as I'll have arrived in Gabon!

Katie

No comments: