Sunday, April 6, 2008

Orientation in New Hampshire

Welcome to my blog! First off, I think it's hilarious that I'm even writing this right now. I remember first hearing the word "blog" about 6 years ago and not understanding that it was short for web log. "Blogs" and "meet-ups." Poor Howard Dean.

As you might guess by the title of this post, I am not yet in Gabon. We had our orientation for new Schweitzer Fellows this weekend at BU's Center for Outdoor Education in Hancock, NH. It was great to hear from past fellows (or, I should say, fellows for life) about their varied experiences in Lambarene last year and the host of characters that we will be meeting during our stay. While part of the orientation focused on overcoming expected frustrations while in Gabon, I feel that I generally try pretty hard to have no expectations of anything when I go somewhere new. That has served me well in past experiences in Uganda and Honduras, but also in going to new sites for clerkships in Hartford, CT and Portland, ME. I am usually pleasantly surprised rather than joltingly disappointed, so I'm going to try to maintain the same attitude for this upcoming adventure.

The other students going are a mix of medical & public health students, and I would be happy to be paired with any of them. Everyone is laid back but also extremely motivated with like-minded goals. I will be spending my three months with Marie from North Carolina (medical student, wife & mother!) as well as Lillian from Seattle (originally from D.C.), and I think the three of us will work wonderfully together.

I likely won't post anything else here until it's just about time to go. Adios!

1 comment:

Brian said...

Nice work, I just wanted to be the first to comment.