First things first: please stop reading this blog and go vote if you haven't done so already. Not only do you get to influence the future of our country in a profound and meaningful way, but I've heard you can get a free cup of Starbucks (unless you live in Hanover where no such establishment exists) and a free ice cream cone at Ben & Jerry's (between 4-7pm with your "I Voted" sticker). What's wrong with a little bribery?
This past week in Lambarene was filled with celebrations, good-byes, last-minute projects (true to medical student form), and my last days at the pediatrie. I was fortunate to see many of my sickle cell patients one last time for their follow-up visits, and I have included some of their pictures with this post. In addition, I spent most of my time working on a project to ameliorate the current protocol and organization of how sickle cell control visits are handled. One of the physicians there agreed to carry on the project when I left, and I think we may even be applying for funding in the coming months from a major N.G.O. in France to help finance aspects of the program. So, it was a very exciting way to end my work.
It is difficult to write eloquently about my overall thoughts and feelings about this fellowship without sounding trite or hackneyed. However, risking that presentation, I must say that this was one of the most educational, thought-provoking and life-confirming experiences that I have yet had. While you can easily stay connected with the rest of the world through the internet, it is simply not the same as working in a place that is so drastically different in its resources, priorities (I do not say that as a negative thing by any means) and day-to-day realities from those of the U.S., Europe, etc. It becomes very overwhelming to try to wrap one's head around how we have entire centers dedicated to pediatric burn patients and other hospitals are simply wondering when they will get in their next shipment of ibuprofen (and the Schweitzer Hospital is well-off/up-to-date compared to the care one would receive in most other parts of the non-road-accessible country). And all of this is not to say that we should live in tents, get rid of all of our possessions and stop creating centers of excellence in the world of healthcare in the U.S. And it is not to say that the Schweitzer Hospital does not need money because it is better off than the village outposts in rural Gabon (any and all donations are welcome!). It is simply to say that these are difficult issues to understand and difficult issues to work on, but they are incredibly important, and we can not forget that such conditions exist even if we do not see them everyday.
Twenty-five hours after leaving Lambarene, I arrived in Boston. I already miss the hospital, my patients, colleagues and especially the heat. But, I am ready to be home too.
Thanks for reading along, and until the next adventure,
Katie
3 comments:
Thanks, Katie. I enjoyed this blog and perhaps, you can keep it running to some extent. I look forward to hearing your presentation at Williams in January and, snow permitting, tramping around this area with you on snow shoes.
Welcome back to the land of Starbucks, Ben and Jerry and more. (And yes, I voted). Dave
Hey Katie,
I've just discovered your blog. It amazes to see how students from around the globe come down to Gabon and help out by giving a bit of their time and energy to save other people's lives. I am a Gabonese citizen living in Gabon and it is quite fresh to hear of such good deeds. I've got family in Lambarene and every time I talk to them, they always tell me of the excellent work you people do (or did). I think the history of the hospital will live on, on the shore of the Ogooue river. Dedication, sacrifice and discovering richness and candour in a different culture than your own. Keep your dreams alive and never forget what you did for us. We'll cherish it ourselves.
Rock on and good luck with your future life in the US.
Cheers and thank you.
Hello Katie, my name is Sebastian barreiro, i´m an ilustrator and i just finished a child´s book about ALBERT SCHWEITZER. Searching for some photo and data i discover your blog. I really admire you because all you say in your post, and is so valuable for me your kind of persons.
I wish you the best for you and i´m shure you are in the right way , and i really apreciate if you keep on working in this bolg, to show us your experience in that magical place.
Good luck!
Best !
Post a Comment